A frequently asked question I receive from all of you is what tanning products I use and how I achieve my tan on a regular basis. Today I’m sharing just that!
Everyone feels a little bit more confident with a bronzed glow, am I right?! I thought as we’re starting to head into the winter months, what better time to share, because these products can be used all year round!
Keep reading for insight on my tanning routine, favorite products and some tips and tricks!
Products I Use At Home
When it comes to self tanning at home, I’ve tried several of the most popular products and found these to work best for my skin. Things I look for are, application, smell, natural color and longevity.
To prep the skin, I shower, exfoliate (my current favorite is the Raw Sugar Coconut and Mango Body Scrub) and begin with clean, dry skin.
As a lotion formula, Tanceuticals Color Correct Lotion in Dark applies even to the skin and produces a nice natural color (no orange tints!). The coconut scent eliminates the self tanner smell which is one of my favorite things about this product! Also, the Tanceuticals line is vegan-friendly and doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients so it’s a win win for your skin.
Get 10% off any Tanceuticals purchase with code RALEIGH10
I’ve also found the Loving Tan 2 Hours Express Mousse is great if you are short on time. St. Tropez’s Classic Bronzing Mousse is another good option but in my opinion, it has a bit more of a tanning smell to it.
For application, I prefer to use this mitt, this mitt, or a kabuki body brush to apply the tanning product directly to them, then blend in circular motions on the skin.
Face Self Tanners
When it comes to tanning my face I use the Isle of Paradise Self Tanning Drops in Medium and Dark depending on my tan at the moment. It’s super simple! Just mix a few drops with your moisturizer and massage in with your hands. (Make sure you wash them after!) You can adjust the intensity by how many drops are used – I generally stick to about 3. This bottle is great to travel with as well.
Isle of Paradise also has a Self Tanning Water which works great for your body with the easy spray applicator. I always make sure to blend in with a mitt after to decrease any potential streaking.
Quick Fact: These two products are on the Clean at Sephora list if that’s something you keep top of mind for your products.
For a deeper color, I use the Tanceuticals Color Correcting Face Lotion and apply with my hands or a face brush, separate from the one I use for my body.
I’ve found that both of these products work well and provide an even, natural looking color. While I do have somewhat sensitive skin, I haven’t had an issues with either causing breakouts.
Salon Spray Tanning
As you’ve probably seen me share several time on stories, I frequent my local Sun Tan City here in Indy – it’s my favorite way to get a quick glow!
Before going, I shower, exfoliate and apply primer to my whole body – the Designer Skin Sunless Primer is my favorite and it smells so good! I find it helps to let the primer soak in a little bit so I apply at home prior to going to the salon.
Always be sure to use the barrier cream available at the salon on more dry spots like elbows, knees and in-between your fingers/areas you don’t want the solution to collect and cause splotchiness.
My Sunless Tan Cocktail at Sun Tan City
Dark or Medium Clear Solution + Double Leg Pass + Hydration
The above is fool proof from my experience! I never have issues with streaking or unevenness and I can get in and out in 20 minutes.
I always opt for the clear solution so it doesn’t get on my clothes, sheets or the seats of my car. I stop in on a night when I do not have plans, keep it on overnight, then shower in the morning and boom I’m done.
Quick Fact: Did you know, if it’s raining out, a member of the STC team will escort you to your car with a big umbrella so your tan doesn’t wash offf? Such a nice perk!
Tips & Tricks
- Exfoliate in the shower prior to self tanning + let your skin dry all the way
- To prevent any streaks or unevenness, avoid getting wet anywhere you applied self tanner until it is fully developed. (I recommend applying or getting a spray at night and rinsing off in the morning)
- For best application, use a Mitt or Body Brush
- To achieve a darker tan, apply in layers, waiting in between for the product to dry (or apply two days in a row until you achieve the color you want)
- Continue to moisturize your skin each day to help it last longer – my favorite right now is the Raw Sugar Coconut and Mango Body Lotion
The above applies when getting a spray tan as well, plus:
- Apply a Primer to clean, dry skin and let is soak in prior to your appointment
- Utilize the barrier cream available at the salon on knees, elbows and hands (don’t forget your fingernails and toenails to prevent nail polish discoloration
- To keep the bottoms on your feet from getting discolored, place a towel in the bottom of the sunless tanning booth under each foot
- Always wear loose fitting clothes after getting a spray tan
I hope this answers your questions and if not – feel free to come say hi on Instagram and shoot me a DM!